Monday 2 May 2011

Review---The Magnolia League by Katie Crouch.

Thank you so much to the publishers at Netgalley for allowing me to read this book. Blogger friends- Hope you guys enjoy this review.


After the death of her mother, Alex is forced to go and live at her grandmother’s place in Savannah, Georgia.  Her grandmother being part of The Magnolia League- a society of women, young looking and beautiful- Alex gets easy access to all the things which scream “RICH”.  Not to mention all the special privileges that ladies in the Magnolia League hog on.  But something deep within Alex tells her its not the place for her.  She do anything to go back to the commune farm where she came from.  Now the real question is – “Can she turn her back on them before they turn her into someone she doesn’t  recognize”?

The Magnolia League by Katie Crouch is a sort of fantasy read if you consider the part where all Magnolia women are glowing, beautiful, look way too young for their age.  The girl  on the front cover is pretty and the way she sits on the chair shows that she was born to lead.   Looking at the cover, the book was an instant favourite.  It wasn’t a bad read but it wasn’t out of the world also, rather it was a fun experience.  I made a new fictional friend – Alex.  Throughout the book, I would find myself talking to Alex, as if  she were a real person, assisting and guiding her when I thought what she was doing wasn’t right.  But something about the story didn’t fit right for me.  It was like a puzzle with all the pieces in place except two to three stubborn ones which refused to fit anywhere.  The ending was so sad.  I understood Alex’s decision very well but I so badly wish that the circumstances would have been a little more better for her.
Alex is a woman of determination.  She loves her mother unconditionally.  Its great that she would choose her family over anything else.  I feel she is a little low on the self confidence part.  So what if you are not skinny and don’t have straight, glossy, tangle-less hair.  Atleast you are yourself.  Alex shouldn’t have been insecure about herself and also she needs to learn how to trust loved ones (I was practically yelling at her).  Her grandmom is a spendthrift.  She doesn’t mind handing out 1000 dollar bills as long as you come back home with some designer tidbits.  She is very particular about mannerisms and likes to be praised.  There are many other characters but I cant tell much about them without including some main parts of the story (that would be boring)
Over all it’s a fine read.  Maybe you should try it out, see it you like it.  And if you do read/have read,  don’t forget to tell me what you think.

What do you think??

Xoxo <3
Mia

6 comments:

  1. I really liked this, but I found aspects to be a bit vacuous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah I'm sooo jealous of you! But great review. I can't wait to pick this up :D Don't be a stranger, stop by my blog sometime and say hi!

    Looking forward to hearing back from you,
    Cory @ Anti-Drug Reads

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I've read some books by this author before that she wrote for adults. Have you heard of Girls in Trucks? Do you know if that is the same person?

    Check out my blog, which has YA book reviews in 100 words or less: http://ya100words.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for checking out my review on The Daily Harrell. You seem to have liked the book a bit more than I did -- and I'm happy for this author that she will have fans with this story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel the same way... This was a good read, but not a great read, unfortunately. Thanks for sharing your review! It's great to see what others thought of the same book. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds like a fun book, but maybe just par for the course for paranormal romances. It's rather depressing when characters have low self-confidence, but I do think that is true for many teens in real life.

    ReplyDelete