Saturday 9 April 2011

Review---Lock and Key by Sarah Dessen

OMG!! I have 36 followers. That's great. Thank You everyone for all the support and comments. First and foremost before I begin with the review, there is one quote I would like to highlight from the book that really touched my heart. ”It’s a lot easier to be lost than found. It’s the reason we’re always searching and rarely discovered-so many locks, not enough keys.”

   
Lock and Key by Sarah Dessen revolves mainly around the life of Ruby Cooper. After the sudden disapperance of her mom, she is forced to live at her sister’s place despite the fact that she believes she doesn’t need anyone’s help and can survive on her own. Her sister’s life being very different from what she’s used to, Ruby tries very hard not to get involved in anything. She considers living at her sister’s place a temporary thing which would soon change when she turns 18 in a few weeks. Having taught not to depend on anyone or form any deep connections/relationships, Ruby pushes everyone away. She refuses to socialize with anyone in the new neighborhood, so when boy next door Nate starts to mingle with her she just can’t keep him at bay. Even as hard as she tries to avoid him, she always ends up with him. So how will this friendship change Ruby’s life? How will she come out of her cocoon-like-shell to adapt to a new way of life?

My feelings for this book were very different at various pages.
In the beginning I did not like it. I had to read the first two chapters before I really caught hold of the story. Till the first two chapters I was completely lost. I would often find myself reading without understanding what was actually happening. I guess my mind was not really into the book.
After that it was okay even though still a slow read and a bit too dragging. I was not really fond of the main characters- Ruby and Nate, solely because of their mind-set. I wasn’t able to adjust to their perception of life and other things. But by the end of the book I could justify their behaviour and the atmoshphere of the book. I sympathize with Ruby and Nate for everything they had to put up with. Ruby is a very stubborn character and in the beginning she’s really unfriendly. She’s rude and  not very grateful. But the circumstances, under which she grew up were really terrible so I think it wasn’t entirely her fault for behaving that way. In a word I would call Ruby- Cynical. Nate, on the other hand, is the total opposite. He mingles with everyone in school and is not a quiet person. He’s very popular. I loved the way Jamie and Cora are portrayed. They are ideal sister and brother-in-law characters. Jamie is really sweet and generous. Not to mention REALLY rich. Cora is a lovely  sister- very protective of Ruby and not at all selfish.
I mostly love Sarah Dessen’s books for the quotes. They have some wonderful life related quotes and meaningful phrases that get us readers thinking (atleast it made me start thinking about things more often) I have gained a lot of insight from these quotes.
Overall it was a fine read, the reason being that the story was a little too deep for me. I’m not really into deep emotional books. Sarah Dessen has definitely written much better books. So if you like the plot/story line then maybe you should try it.  


Did you read the book?? Liked it?? Don't forget to tell me your opinion.

Xoxo <3 
Mia

7 comments:

  1. Haven't read it, but it did sound interesting. Great review! Not sure if it's worth reading at the moment for me though. Perhaps I'll try it some time! :)

    Rebecca @ kindle fever

    ReplyDelete
  2. I gave it 3 stars too. It was okay, but didn't really stand out much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is one of the few Sarah Dessen books I haven't read yet. Sorry you didn't enjoy it all that much. I can't read really emotional books often. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you everyone for having liked my review.
    <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Emotional and deep is where I live! I love these kind, so I guess I should run out and grab a copy of this?

    Nice review :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cyndi-Yup you should!! Thank you so much =D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much for following my blog! :) I love this book and Sarah Dessen is one of my favorite authors. I agree that it took a few chapters to get into, but I really enjoyed it over all. Great review :)

    ReplyDelete