Saturday 16 April 2011

Review---Ultraviolet by R J Anderson

To my wonderful blogger friends/readers,
I am really sorry for not having posted anything for two whole days.Quite unusual of me,when I generally have two posts a day.But I was busy with school and family and was away.So I couldn't access my laptop and hence couldn't post.
Here's the review to a wonderful book.

Ultraviolet by R J Anderson is a science fiction novel which explores the feelings and the mind of Alison,who is registered in a psychiatric institution.No longer clear about her memories,Alison doesn't know if she truly has killed Tori-a beautiful and popular girl at school-or if her mind is playing tricks on her.Neglected by her mother,Alison seeks help from her therapist,Sebastian Faraday,for whom she soon starts to develop feelings of love and friendship.What Alison doesn't know is that people aren't always what they seem to be.

After having loved The Host by Stephenie Meyer,I decided to give science fiction another shot,thinking that you never know I might fall in love with this genre.And I must say, I was quite right.I really liked this book.It was quite a wonderful experience.In the beginning, the story was vague.I spent a little too much time trying to figure out what was wrong with Alison's brain.Finally loosing patience,I committed a book crime,I googled the symptoms faced by Alison and found out about the disorder.I know I ought to have left the suspense intact but I was so into the story that I HAD to know beforehand.But alas!It is a very well written book.It totally gave the vibes of a teenage girl talking about her feelings.At times I could relate to some parts of the story.I assume that it must have been written with teenagers in mind,not that adults can't read it.They can and they certainly should when they find the time to read.Like I said before it  is a really good book.
Most of the characters were nice,except for a few annoying ones.Alison is a nice girl,yearning for her mothers love and acceptance since childhood.I felt so bad for her.She was treated like an outsider by her own mother.I don't blame her for not having a very strong self-esteem. She has only 1 bestfriend (who is really pathetic).Faraday,her therapist,reached out to her and helped her become more confident of herself.He guided her throughout her stay at Pine Hills and he believed in her more than she did in herself.He's a very friendly character.Kirk is one of the annoying characters.He's never serious about anything.He's the ideal mental patient character.
Overall it was a good read.If you haven't read it,by way of ARC,then you certainly should when the book comes out in June.Give it a try and see if you'll like it.

Tell me about your opinion.

Xoxo <3
Mia

4 comments:

  1. I just got this one off netgalley also! It looks very good; and I'm glad you enjoyed it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got this it looks so good! Don't worry about the not posting; I think a lot of people are busy round about now =] If you haven't already seen; there's a giveaway on my blog for a copy of Born at Midnight!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this looks really interesting, and I really love the purple cover!
    I think I may pick this one up after that wonderful review. :D

    Perhaps if you have time, would you mind stopping by my blog?
    Thanks!
    http://lovelylilbookworm.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks to all of you for stopping by.I'm glad you enjoyed reading the review.
    Mia

    ReplyDelete