Friday 29 April 2011

Review---This Girl Is Different by J.J Johnson

Third post for a day.Phew!!! I feel better now after not posting anything the entire week.I had to bottle up my  feelings the entire week and now they are all out. Its a great feeling. The review is for This Girl Is Different by J.J Johnson. I loved it and I hope you will too.


This Girl Is Different by J.J Johnson is a book about a girl, Evie, who has been home-schooled, her entire life and decides to join a school for the experience. As the title goes, Evie is a girl, who is so different from any other girl in high school. By so different, I mean, she has her own special way of looking at things. This book is all about her experience in high school as a girl who has no clue, as to what a school is like. The ups and downs that she faces, first love, first true friendship.

When I first saw this book in Netgalley, I was a little skeptical about it. At first sight, I wasn’t a great fan of the cover page. But as my book-buying policy goes (book-reading in this case) I read the synopsis and was totally floored. The concept was the best and it was easily something I had never read about. Thankfully the publisher accepted by request and I was able to read the book. I loved the book from the very first page. I have always read books and watched movies about high school and they have all been the same thing, sometimes with a little twist or change in story, but never have I ever read anything like this. This book is one of those which make you start thinking things over again. For a person who likes to stay out of school politics, I was pretty darn eager to jump into the book and lend Evie a helping hand to assist her in fighting against injustice. I connected with Evie from the very beginning and in my minds eye, I saw myself befriend her if I would’ve been a part of the book. I got upset when she got upset. I was giddy with relief when she was happy and joyful. This story has made a BIG impact on my mind and often I find myself seeing things through Evie’s eye.
The characters are all great. Evie is adamant and won’t stop fighting for justice, which is a good thing. She has a strong believe in herself and craves for friendship. Rajas is just stupid and selfish. At first, I thought, he was the sweet one but guess I was wrong in my assumptions just like Evie. Jacinda is fickle minded, a sweet cheerleader, arrogant, refuses to listen to anyone, thinks that she is always right.
No matter the characters, I really really liked this book and I think all of you should read it. It makes you want to more and more with every page. It’s a guaranteed entertaining book from the first page till the end.


What did you think of the review/book?? Anything I missed??

Xoxo <3 
Mia

4 comments:

  1. Great review on a book I couldn't finish. I, too, did not like the cover; but I saw this was a DAC option so I selected it from NetGalley. After about 30 pages I could not get into it.

    Glad you connected with it. It's always nice to see books I don't like, being liked by others. Just shows how diverse each reader is :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank You so much, Cyndi.Your so sweet!
    Mia

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard really great reviews of this one, and I totally agree with what you said. The concept is definitely something I've never read before! I can't wait to try this one out. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was really taken in by the cover of this on NetGalley myself, but the blurb didn't pull me in. Maybe I'll take another stab at it, though, as it sounds more interesting after the review!

    ReplyDelete